A Zenith converter box comes as a great tool for enjoying TV content from digital stations. If you own an older analog TV, this device allows it to receive channels in digital format. With this in mind, you don’t have to get an HDTV or throw your analog model in the trash.
To use this device, you will need the remote that comes with the Zenith Converter. But if the controller gets missing or acts weird, programming the device might come as a frustrating task.
Have you lost your Zenith Converter remote? Does it have bad buttons? If you have any of these issues, you can use advice from this article to program your converter box especially if you don’t have its remote control.
How to Program a Zenith Converter Box Without Remote
The Zenith Converter Box enables users of old TV sets to enjoy digital content. With this in mind, this tool offers clearer and more channels at an affordable price. If you want to use the device without a remote, you should try the following ideas.
1. Get a New Zenith Controller Remote
To be honest, this stands as one of the best things to do especially if you can’t work with your old remote. When it comes down to it, the new remote makes it easier to program your converter box. So if your remote is missing or faulty, you should consider this option.
A replacement remote for the converter can be found in many online or physical stores. If you can’t find one at your location, consider calling the Zenith customer service center.
After getting a new controller, remember to program the device with the following steps :
- Face the remote control towards the device that you want to use.
- Press and hold the PROGRAM key until it’s LED light comes on.
- Enter any of these Zenith 3-digit codes (002, 113, 114, 115, 176, 182, 189, 245, 248, 274)
- Hit the Ok button to save the settings
- Wait for the LED light to blink again. If it does, then you have set up the device perfectly. But if the lights do not come on, pick another code from the list and hit OK.
- Test the setup by trying the function keys on the remote. If you are sure about the buttons to press, hit the volume down or up keys.
2. Check the Batteries on Your Zenith Remote
Sometimes your remote might be in great shape. However, weak batteries can make any controller act weird or even look damaged. For this reason, it is advised that you replace the batteries after a few months.
Before getting a new controller, check the batteries. If it shows any swelling, remove it and get a new pair. Then, press any of the buttons to test the batteries.
3. Contact the Zenith Customer Service Department
If you don’t have plans to get a new remote for the converter, you might have to reach out to the Zenith customer service center. When it comes down to it, this department offers advice for any problems that concern the use of its products. As you make the call, consider asking for a replacement remote.
5. Perform a Manual Code Search
Before the Zenith box can work properly, the remote provides codes for the device. But as you don’t have a remote controller, you will have to look for the codes manually. For this task, you can use an RCA universal remote.
This method might not be foolproof. But if you don’t mind using this method, here are the steps:-
- Switch on the component that you want to program manually.
- Press and hold the SAT and the Power buttons for 3 seconds. Wait for all the components to light up before releasing the SAT keys.
- Continue holding the Power button until the components go off
- Hit the Stop Key to save the correct code
How to Turn on Zenith Converter Box Without Remote
Although a remote controller is required to use a converter box, you can still turn on the converter box without using this device. Here are the steps that you will need to carry out this task.
- Head to the back of the converter box and look for the AC port
- Connect the smaller end of the AC adapter to the port
- Connect the larger end of the AC adapter to a power outlet near the TV.
- Press the Power button on the converter box to light it up.
How to Care for Your Zenith Converter Remote
It might not be easy to keep remote controls properly. But if you take care of this device, you can find them easily and offer them longer service life. With this in mind, you will not even bother knowing how to use the converter without its remote.
Here are some tips that can keep your Zenith remote from going bad or missing.
- Do not soak your converter remote in water. If you need to get the device cleaned, try using alcohol-free wipes to remove any dirt. For spaces between the buttons, a toothpick can help take out the grime.
- Avoid mixing old batteries with new ones.
- Use velcro or string to attach your converter remote to the couch. If you are looking for a hi-tech solution, stick TV remote trackers at the back of the controller.
- Do not drop your remote control on the floor. Although the device might look solid, a little impact can shatter its contents.
- If possible, purchase more extra Zenith converter remotes. When one gets missing, you can use the other one as a suitable replacement.
Why Should I Use a Remote Control to Program A Zenith Converter?
As there are no buttons for inputting the 3 digit codes on the converter itself, you will have to use a remote control. Without these numbers, you cannot get the best results from your Zenith converter.
Can I Use Any Remote Control to Program My Zenith Converter?
No, you cannot use any remote control to access the functions on the converter. If you are not sure of the replacement remote to use, ask a professional or contact the Zenith customer care center.
With a Zenith digital converter, you can view digital content on analog TVs. Besides, if you don’t have the converter’s remote, the job becomes more tedious.
If you have issues with your remote, get a suitable replacement. Then program the remote to work with your converter. As you use a new remote, remember to change the batteries regularly and keep it in a safe place.