According to its numerous users, the Whirpool dishwasher is an ideal tool for handling your messy kitchenware. To access its settings, the device offers an easy-to-use control board. But for various reasons, this component might become faulty.
Before asking for a replacement, you might try to fix the control board without any help. For this task, you will need to know the cause of the problem and the right steps needed to resolve it.
Whirlpool Dishwasher Control Board Problems & Fixes
Here are the various reasons why a Whirpool dishwasher might have control board problems. Also, we will describe the best steps for solving each of the mentioned problems.
But before using these tips, it would help if you contacted the Whirpool customer service desk for more advice. When it comes down to it, this channel is the best source for Whirpool-related info. Besides, our tips might not be enough to solve your control board issue.
1. The Lights On the Dishwasher Do Not Come On
If you turn on the Whirpool dishwasher, its lights should come on. But if the machine remains inactive, then you have a dishwasher control board problem. Normally, this problem is caused by a burnt fuse on the control board of the dishwasher.
- To fix this problem, you will have to replace the damaged unit with the following step:-
- Disconnect the dishwasher from the wallet socket.
- Open the door of the dishwasher.
- Unscrew the screws to separate the inner door panel from the outer door panel.
- Use the inner panel to close the dishwasher. Then secure the door latch with a slim object such as a rod or a screwdriver
- Take the other part of the separated panel.
- Head to the upper end of the door to the cover on the control module
- Press the locking tab on the side of the cover to remove it
- Look for the thermal fuse under the cover. Normally, you can find this component at the top of the microprocessor.
- Check the connected wires for any signs of damage
- Remove the wires from the fuse by pulling out the harnesses
- Disconnect a large plug at the end of the board. Then take out the connected wires by inserting a straightened paper clip into a locking tab on the terminal
- Pull out the damaged fuse with a pair of pliers and dispose of it properly.
- Install a new fuse into the control terminal
- Take a tan-colored wire from the door switch with a pair of pliers
- Take a wire harness and connect it to the door switch
- Insert the other end of the harness into the thermal fuse
- Take another wire harness with a locking tab and connect it with the Molex plug. Ensure the tab points outwards.
- Reinstall the plug to the board
- Reinstall the other terminal to the fuse
- Use a wire tie to secure the old harness with the new one
- Cover the assembly with the cover of the control module
- Screw the inner door panel with the outer door panel
- Plugin the dishwasher and start the cycle.
2. The Dishwasher Does Not Clean Properly
With a damaged control board, the dishwasher might not clean your dirty dishes properly. As the problem begins, your dishwasher will get enough water. But the liquid will not circulate as expected.
Now the question comes- how is this a control board problem? Well, the origin of this fault can be traced to a wiring fault between the control board and the motor.
To solve this problem, it would help if you changed both items. But before replacing those parts, remove the motor, clean out the debris and reinstall. If you still have the same problem, you can go ahead with the replacement process.
3. The Dishwasher is Not Responding
Sometimes, power surges can affect the operation of your dishwasher. However, a simple reset might bring it back to its normal settings. Now here are the best steps for resetting the control board.
- Turn off the dishwasher
- Disconnect the plug of the dishwasher from the wall socket
- Keep this device off for at least 10 minutes
- Plugin the dishwasher and turn on the device
- Choose the highest setting required for washing dishes
- Select one of the heat cycles for removing moisture from the plates
- Allow the dishwasher to run for at least 10 minutes.
- Press the buttons for the highest wash cycle setting and highest drying setting.
4. The LED Lights Blink Rapidly
Look at the keypad on your dishwasher? Do you notice any blinking lights above the keys? If yes, the key switch lines might not be in top shape.
To be sure about the condition of the dishwasher, you will have to perform a test. You can start by turning off the dishwasher, opening its door, and removing the keypad ribbon from the controls.
Reconnect the console but leave the door open. Next, connect the dishwasher to a power source. Then allow the device to run for 5 seconds before closing the door.
If the blinking continues, you should get a new control board. But if it stops, you can use the dishwasher without any issues.
How to Get a New Control Board for Your Whirpool Dishwasher
Getting a Whirpool control board can seem like an easy task. However, you might end up with fake spare parts from shady dealers. Since you are aiming for an original Whirpool control board, you can email or call the company’s customer service center. Most times, this channel can provide an address for a trusted Whirpool merchant closest to your location.
If you don’t have any DIY skills, the center can also provide a professional to fix the dishwasher. As expected, this individual will come with the right parts for dealing with the problem.
Extra Tips for Handling Control Board Problems
As you want to work on your dishwasher, remember the following tips
- Ensure that DIY repairs do not violate your warranty agreement
- Contact the customer service center or professional for advice with your dishwasher.
- Get the right parts from trusted dealers or the brand’s service center.